Monday, January 3, 2011

New Year, Same Lies: 2011 Edition

Not that I can actually remember what happened after we got to Zinc on New Years, or a even a countdown for that matter I had a rough idea of a few things I wanted to change/improve on/do this year. Truth be told though I had a good New Years and if that's an indication to the way the year will be, socially at least, then I'm happy.

Like I said 2010, particularly the last 3 or 4 months, was a time I'd prefer to forget. So on that note here's a few things I plan on doing this year (in no particular order)

1. Get in shape
Something we all say at the start of every year and ultimately never fully commit to. I wouldn't call myself fat or anything but if I'm panting and heaving from running to answer the phone then I REALLY need to do something about that. This year I've no excuses seeing as there's a)an exercise bike RIGHT outside my bedroom door b)there's a gym DOWN THE ROAD from my house, and c) no reason for me not to even run up and down the stairs a few times a day and get my heart beating a bit faster.

2. Go out more
This has always been in issue for me. I remember a particular summer when my friends called me a house hatcher and I wasn't really offended. But now that I'm older and I realise I can count on my hand how many times I go out in any given period I'm a little worried. I'm not going to turn into one of Michael Aligs minions or anything but at least getting out of this house a little more regularly wouldn't go a miss.

3. Read more

I had a lovely chat with my cousin Tina the other day about her favourite author, and, not to my surprise, she told me it was Jacqueline Wilson. At that particular moment my heart broke a little, mainly because my TEN year old cousin could name her favourite author and me, her TWENTY TWO year old cousin don't even have one. Reading books has never been my thing! I prefer magazines, newspapers, blogs and that type of thing but this year I'm going to make a conscious effort to read more (seeing as a I have a bookcase full of them).

4. Talk to my family more
There was a point last year where I hadn't spoken with my dad in about 4/5/6 weeks, and when I finally did, the conversation lasted approximately 3 minutes. I haven't spoken with his older sister, my Aunt, in about a year and I have some cousins whose names I don't even know. That aside when it comes to interactions with the family I actually LIVE with (and those that live in Ireland) I'm pretty surface level with them, never make the first move to get in contact and I don't quite know how and why that's happened. Yeah there's the fact that my immediate family don't like to address the many elephants in the room but I think this year we should all make the effort to spend time with and talk to our families more. We've only oh so many years left with them so why not make the best of them

5. Blog more
I actually have 3 blogs, of which one is pretty much defunct (though I cant bring myself to delete it), I'm going to try an update them more. There's so many blogs out there and I'm amazed at how dedicated/creative some people are with theirs and use that as my inspiration to continue sometimes. My main problem is that I generally feel I don't have much to say, and even if I do who's even going to read it. I guess that says something about my need for other people's validation and reassurance. Which brings me nicely to my next two resolutions

6. Make better decisions
I read something somewhere that said 'growth is a process of trail, error, and experimentation". During what I'm now calling my 'grey' area of 2010 I figured out that all three come as a result of decisions that we make and actions we choose, however well or ill informed they may be. I'm the type of person who makes decisions based on what everyone else is doing, not bearing any thought for the fact that what works for one person doesn't always work for me. I just pray and hope that some decisions I've made wont turn around and screw me over this year and also to listen to the opinions of those who ACTUALLY matter in my life and not those who I'm trying to please.

7. Live for myself and not others
My mum used to say I'm a people pleaser and nothing could piss me off more! But as I look back at the times she said it, she couldn't have put it better. In my defense I was young and impressionable and didn't always reason well (and still don't at the best of times). However now that I'm older, and wiser (hopefully), I've learned to say no and not be afraid of the consequences of said no. While I was forced to say no on some occasions it taught me the benefits of saying no. In an ideal situation I'd be more assertive and make those decisions myself but I guess that's one of the pitfalls of living at home and being dependent.

8. Get a job/career/money making activity According to my plan from when I was 11 I should be married with a child at this age but in reality I have a about €5 to my name. Therefore said child and wife would more than likely be slumming it at this rate. But on a more serious note a job or something that gives me a regular pay check would really be appreciated right about now. From a superficial point of view I could buy lots of shiny new things and distract myself from the harsh reality of the 'real world'. On a more practical point of view it would give me a sense of direction, something to strive to, and something to build upon. My Dad manages his money really well and I hope I do too when I'm in the same position. With the economy being what it is ,however, and the ABUNDANCE of opportunities here getting a job this year is a challenge I look forward to.


If I think of any more I'll stick them up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers